Nikolai Lockertsen, Lead Concept Artist, talks you through the creation of "Found It"; the hunt for an elusive creature in a futuristic cityscape. You'll also get a behind-the-scenes view of his thought processes along the way.
Nikko takes you on an amazing, creative journey with the iPad as your sketchbook. He guides you step-by-step, revealing how to get the most out of this inspiring new art tool.
Note: This course is structured for students with an intermediate knowledge of Procreate. A basic understanding of the interface and tools is recommended.
Starting with a blank canvas and ending with a stunning, richly detailed artwork, this course is a step-by-step look at how Nikko constructs one of his images. He narrates the complete process and gives us an insight into his thought processes and his advice on how to make an image stand out from the rest of the crowd.
He also reveals tips and tricks that you can use to get more out of your artwork.
Highlights from the course include:
The complete process of creating an artwork with detailed commentary by Nikko himself
Tool tips and techniques you can use immediately in your own artwork
Exclusive downloadable brushes created by Nikko, the complete uninterrupted timelapse video, and more!
01. Introduction 00:30
02. Setting up the structure of the image with perspective helper grids. 09:03
03. Sketching the rough city backdrop. 06:54
04. Adjusting the initial sketch to add depth. 04:48
05. Adding colour to the buildings and sky. 07:14
06. Bringing the city to life with lighting. 05:40
07. Enhancing the lighting with colours and glows. 07:42
08. Roughly sketching the foreground characters and lighting. 07:24
09. Adding finer details to the foreground chaacters and environment lighting. 11:20
10. Sketching the creature and using the selection tools to create a silhouette layer. 05:47
11. Painting, lighting, and detailing the creature. 10:57
12. Creating additional lighting effects and adding some noise to the artwork. 06:50
13. Final lighting, detail and colour enhancements. 10:49 Total course time: 01:35:00 hours
Exclusive to this course are a selection of the brushes that Nikko used.
Once you have purchased the course, you will be able to import them to Procreate from your iPad here:
Rough Tip brush
Rust Lines brush
Splat big Spread brush
Tex Scrap 01 brush
Tex Scratchy 01 brush
You will also be able to download the original, full-size, finished artwork as shown in this course here.
This course is held by one of the world’s leading iPad Artists – Nikolai Lockertsen.
Nikolai works as an Art director, Concept Artist and Matte Painter in the movie and TV industry. He has an impressive career behind him, having worked on such movies as “Troll Hunter”, Oscar-nominated “Kon Tiki”, “Max Manus” and “The Mortal Instruments”, to name but a few.
He regularly works with Hollywood Director Harald Zwart and continues to develop his art to stunning new levels. He is often travelling between movie locations and international film studios, and his iPad always travels with him.
In this video from Savage Interactive (the makers of Procreate), he talks about why he enjoys using Procreate for iPad so much: