Nikolai Lockertsen talks you step-by-step through the making of "Boat Trouble". A deserted town, a desperate boat owner, and a giant mechanical menace! Get a behind-the-scenes view of Nikko's creative process and hopefully escape in time...
Grab an iPad and get sketching! Nikko guides you step-by-step, revealing how to get the most out of this inspiring new art tool and create everything from stunning environments, lively characters, and even giant robots…
Note: This course is structured for students with an intermediate knowledge of Procreate. A basic understanding of the interface and tools is recommended.
Starting with a blank canvas and ending with a stunning, richly detailed artwork, this course is a step-by-step look at how Nikko constructs one of his images. He narrates the complete process and gives us an insight into his thought processes and his advice on how to make an image stand out from the rest of the crowd.
He also reveals tips and tricks that you can use to get more out of your artwork.
Highlights from the course include:
The complete process of creating an artwork with detailed commentary by Nikko himself
Tool tips and techniques you can use immediately in your own artwork
Exclusive downloadable brushes created by Nikko, the complete uninterrupted timelapse video, and more!
01. Introduction 01:00
02. Planning and sketching the basic image layout from a distance. 06:08
03. Testing the rough colour palette of the whole image using Curves. Sketching the basic village. 18:57
04. Choosing a good position, scale and silhouette for the giant robot. Adding a sense of depth with colour and atmosphere. 09:18
05. Bringing the village to life with building detail and foliage. Adding the foreground boat and driver. 11:40
06. Detailing the robot with a lot of mechanical elements to keep the structure interesting. 17:18
07. Adding atmosphere, depth and detail to the whole image. 07:10
08. Creating water reflections, glowing eyes, and cleaning up the whole image ready for the final stage. 04:18
09. Adding a vignette effect, and using Curves to adjust the final colour palette giving the image a filmic quality. 02:49
Total course time: 01:18 hours
Course downloads become automatically available once the course is purchased.
Exclusive to this course are a selection of the brushes that Nikko created and used.
Import them to Procreate from your iPad here:
Spotty Wide Tex brush
Exclusive to ALL members is a full-size PNG image of the robot, ready to add to your own destruction scene! Just sign up for free to get access.
Paid members will also be able to download the original, full-size, finished artwork as created during this course here.
This course is held by one of the world’s leading iPad Artists – Nikolai Lockertsen.
Nikolai works as an Art director, Concept Artist and Matte Painter in the movie and TV industry. He has an impressive career behind him, having worked on such movies as “Troll Hunter”, Oscar-nominated “Kon Tiki”, “Max Manus” and “The Mortal Instruments”, to name but a few.
He regularly works with Hollywood Director Harald Zwart and continues to develop his art to stunning new levels. He is often travelling between movie locations and international film studios, and his iPad always travels with him.
In this video from Savage Interactive (the makers of Procreate), he talks about why he enjoys using Procreate for iPad so much: